Re: [SLE] swap space question in 9.3 install
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:44:12 -0400
On Thursday 28 July 2005 9:19 am, Greg Wallace wrote:
> Windows XP will not let you allocate a swap file (pagefile.sys) that is
> greater than 1.5 times your RAM.  Not sure if that is pertinent to Linux,
> but I just wanted to point it out.  I personally use the 1.5 number and,
> if you let Linux compute the size of your swap space, at installation, it
> wants to allocate roughly that amount, though it seems to be just a
> little bit less than 1.5 times RAM.
The 2x rule of thumb has been around a long time from the days when we
measured memory in K and not M or G. It comes down to how you intend to use
your system. For the most part, a swap of 512M should be sufficient for
most home systems, but it does not hurt to allocate more. Both RAM and disk
are relatively inexpensive today. A large amount of swap space is really
only necessary if you have an application that uses a large amount of data.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group