Re: [SLE] File/Directory Permissions.
  • From: Jay Paulson <jpaulson@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:58:32 -0500
I've read those and I'm still asking. eek! :) What I'm trying to do is
have 2 users in the same group able to edit files of other users in the
same group or write files in other user's directories as long as they
are in the same group.

For example... I have user A in group users and www. User B is in
only group www. I have a directory who's owner is user B with a group
ownership of www. However, when user A tries to move files into that
directory or edit any files in that directory they can't. They can
only see the files because the global permission on the directory and
files are set to read only.

I really want to figure out how to get user A and user B to be able to
work in the same directory as long as they are in the same group. It
shouldn't matter who owns the file as long as the users are in the same
group.

I hope that explains what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!

chmod g+rwx /directory

This basically says add read and write privileges for anyone in the group to
that directory. X means access for directories, meaning all users in the
group can specify it in a file path (for files, x means executable; i. e.,
it's a program).

Greg Wallace

That helps a ton. I did not know that's what X meant for a directory. I'm assuming then that when you have "s" (chmod g+s) so you get a permission of drwxrwsr-- all the sub directories and files that are created will get the same permissions and be accessible to other users in the group?

thanks!