Re: [SLE] Writing a program
  • From: Kenneth Rhodes <knrhodes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:30:21 -0400
Ken Schneider wrote:

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 09:37 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:

On Thursday 28 July 2005 9:07 am, Chris Roubekas wrote:

Dear friends,

I am trying to create a database program (eg phone catalog). Before
doing so my main concern is what language to use? I have never programmed
in Linux before and I want this program to operate from the prompt not
GUI (eg YAST can be operated from the prompt). GUI is currently out of
the scope of this program creation as the end users will not be using a
Linux Desktop, rather they will be using their WinXX boxes and will
probably be operating this program via ssh or something like that (still
thinking about this part too).

Can someone point out to me a language that I could write this
program?

Main features that must be present in the end program are:
Text Menus
Screens to input information.
Screens to dispaly results of information.
Will probably need to be able to do some mathematical operations.
Printing will also be necessary.

I think that you should subscribe to the Linux-programming-e list for more opinions. As far as languages are concerned, C, C++, Java, Python, Perl. Since you are using command line, you may want to consider the use of Curses to do your menus since that is character cell based.

Seems to me that using LDAP and the address book feature of an email
program would fit the bill without having to re-invent the wheel.

You might find the Euphoria programming language worth investigating:
http://www.rapideuphoria.com/index.html

Good luck