Re: [SLE] Writing a program
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:17:19 +0200
On Thursday 28 July 2005 15:07, Chris Roubekas wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I am trying to create a database program (eg phone catalog). Before
> doing so my main concern is what language to use? I have never programmed
> in Linux before and I want this program to operate from the prompt not GUI
> (eg YAST can be operated from the prompt). GUI is currently out of the
> scope of this program creation as the end users will not be using a Linux
> Desktop, rather they will be using their WinXX boxes and will probably be
> operating this program via ssh or something like that (still thinking about
> this part too).
>
> Can someone point out to me a language that I could write this program?
>
> Main features that must be present in the end program are:
> Text Menus
> Screens to input information.
> Screens to dispaly results of information.
> Will probably need to be able to do some mathematical operations.
> Printing will also be necessary.
>
> Looking forward to your opinions.

This won't fit your requirements, but it will likely fit those of your
intended end users better than your current plan: make it web based

With a solution based on linux, apache and PHP (or python, or even perl if you
have a masochistic bent) you would get something that looks better, is easier
to use and above all maintain, and would be orders of magnitude faster and
simpler to develop