Re: [SLE] Starting Gnome - SuSe 9.3
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:52:53 -0400
On Thursday 28 July 2005 11:48 am, Kenneth Rhodes wrote:
> First, let me say I have tried searching the archives and
> I have tried several suggestions found there to no avail.
>
> these do not work:
> startx GNOME
> startx gnome
> startxgnome
>
> changed vitual terminals too - no joy.
I'm running SuSE 9.3 Professional running KDE.
I logged into a virtual terminal (eg. ctrl-alt-F2) and ran:
startx gnome -- :1
GNOME came up successfully. I now have KDE running a session attached to F7
and GNOME running a separate session attached to F8.

As I mentioned a bit earlier, you should have gnome set up in your path. By
default on SuSE, GNOME is located in /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome.

I have used this technique to have both KDE, GNOME, and possibly other
window managers running for some of my presentations in classes.
Also make sure that when you installed SuSE that you did install GNOME.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group