Packman as Installation Source
  • From: Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:12:30 -0500
The other day I got some real good advice about how to set up Packman as an
installation source for YaST's "Install and Remove Software". This worked
great for installing Mplayer and getting its dependencies.

Today I noticed that Packman has an updated version of Kaffeine so I tried to
install it just as I did for Mplayer. Unfortunately it did not work. YaST
finds libxine1 as a dependency and attempts to install it but it is looking
for version 1.0.1 and packman actually has version 1.1.0.

Is that a problem on Packman's end? Is it a YaST bug? Do I have something set
up wrong?

What I did for now is download and install manually. Turns out libxine1 has
other dependencies in turn, most of which I was able to fond on Packman.
There were two libraries (libMagick.so.6 and libWand.so.6) I couldn't find
and had to use "--nodeps" to get rpm to install everything. Itsdeems to be
working OK except that Kaffeine crashes with segmentation violation when it
exits. (It did this before I tried the Packman version.)

Thanks for any help, either in properly using Packman as installation source,
in finding the missing libraries, or in avoiding the crash!

Bob

< Previous Next >