Re: [SLE] Writing a program
  • From: John Perry <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:58:55 -0400
Chris Roubekas wrote:

Dear friends,

I am trying to create a database program (eg phone catalog). Before doing so
my main concern is what language to use? I have never programmed in Linux before and I want this program to operate from the prompt not GUI (eg YAST
can be operated from the prompt). GUI is currently out of the scope of this
program creation as the end users will not be using a Linux Desktop, rather
they will be using their WinXX boxes and will probably be operating this program via ssh or something like that (still thinking about this part too).

Can someone point out to me a language that I could write this program?

Main features that must be present in the end program are:
Text Menus
Screens to input information.
Screens to dispaly results of information.
Will probably need to be able to do some mathematical operations.
Printing will also be necessary.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Kindly,
Chris

Tcl will do everything you want, and it's unmatched for cross-platform performance. Further, you could use tk to build a gui; tk has a "send"command (also cross-platform) that makes networking easy.
Be aware that I haven't used "send" yet; I'm repeating the words of tcl/tk experts from the comp.lang.tcl newsgroup, who, by the way, are among the most helpful and tolerant newsgroup people I've ever come across.
John Perry