Re: [SLE] Mondo
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 16:48:45 +1000
On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:58, Greg Wallace wrote:
> Can this software fully recover your system from a USB connected hard
> drive? I assume you create a boot CD when (after) you create a backup.
> Would you then just boot from that (with you USB drive connected and turned
> on) and Mondo would show you your backup(s) on that drive, from which you
> would do your disaster recovery?

I have only used Mondo to backup to a DVD, which creates a bootable DVD. It
backs up all the data onto the DVD in a compressed format. You can tell it to
exclude certain drives/partitions from the command line.

When you use the DVD to restore a system to a new disk it will create the
partitions and restore the system data. You can then reboot the computer and
have a working system again.

What I suggest is that you only use Mondo to backup the system data. All user
data should be backed up using a normal backup program like kdar as this data
is constantly changing.

Then in the event of a disk failure you would use Mondo to recreate your
system and then use your backup program to restore your other data with.

Mondo is not really a backup program, but a disaster recovery program and
there are differences between the two types of programs. You only need to run
Mondo every time you make major changes to your system configuration. On the
other hand you will backup your user data (documents, drawings, MP3's, etc)
on a daily basis to other media.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith