RE: [SLE] Package Recovery
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 01:08:12 -0800
>>> trashed it when I was trying to create a disaster recovery backup so I
>><big snip>

>>You should be able to run your current packages off to a CD or other
>>location.

>>I don't do that but I do use the packages on one machine to update
>>others....

>>Here's the script I use:

>>#!/bin/sh
>>rsync -auvzr -e ssh
>><mastermachn>:/var/lib/YaST2/you/mnt/i386/update/9.2/
/usr/local/update/i386/update/9.2/

>>(note, there are two lines to the above script... watchout for folding
in

>>your email program)

>>The thing to note above are the directory structures. <mastermachn> is
the
>>machine that gets updated from SuSE sites directly.
>>The /var/lib/YaST2........... structure is where the packages are kept
(along with a lot of info about the updates)

>>By copying that structure and its files to another machine, using
>>the /usr/local/update/...... structure, I can point YOU to the copied

>>structure using the "user defined" update site and can then update
another

>>machine without any more downloading of packages.

>>Questions?

>Bruce:
> Looks like my downloads are going to the following directory --
>/var/lib/YaST2/you/discontinued/i386/update

>There are 3 directories under that directory --

>1) patches -- lots of files. Many have today's date.
>2) rpm -- contains 3 directories, i586, noarch, and i686. i686 has one
>file, the other directories contain lots of files. Many of these files
contain today's date.
>3) scripts -- contains one file, rpmupdate-postscript.sh

>I'm still trying to get the patches back to my machine and installed.
>Every time I try, at least one patch has a signature error and the update
>fails.
>This last time, only the adminguide failed to download. If at least one
>package fails to download, none of them are installed. I'm going to try
>tomorrow and leave that one package out (I think I can safely put
>everything
>else in and not have any dependency failures). Then, all of these should
>automatically install.
> Looks like that download put things into all of the above 3 named
>places. Do I need what's in all of these directories? The next question
--
>how would I install all of these patches manually, without running YOU.
>Would running the rpmupdate-postscript script in the scripts folder install
>them all?

>Thanks,
>Greg Wallace

Looks like the timestamp on the ones in /patches are when I first connected
to the SuSE site and the timestamps on the ones in the /rpm directory
matches the time of the download. If a download is successful, does it then
copy the packages over to patches?

Greg Wallace