Re: [SLE] OT: Getting the rollers on a Deskjet cleaned/oiled?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 09:50:01 -0400
Kevanf1 wrote:
I have had a lot of experience with many makes and you
can only go so far. Try to take one too many parts from it and
suddenly you are likely to hear a 'ping' as a hidden spring flies into
who knows where. I think HP used to make a cleaning kit that included
a special pad that fitted to the printer and would clean the roller(s)
automatically. Might be worthwhile enquiring about with HP.

I also have lots of that sort of experience. Many years ago, I used to spend my days overhauling teletypes and other printers etc. Back in those days, everything was mechanical, with lots of small parts to lose. On one occasion, I was working on a M33 ASR Teletype, that was located over water*, in a small shack at the end of a pier. Any parts dropped there, were gone. ;-)

* The equipment in the shack was used to monitor water levels in a large lake.