Re: [SLE] 9.3 Review
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 22:29:02 -0400
On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:31:33AM -0400, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 May 2005 10:45 pm, Jack Malone wrote:
> > At 06:33 PM 5/3/2005, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > >Well, I'm about as "bleeding edge" as it can get here with this new box. I
> > >did
> > >have to add a PCI sound card, but the SATA and all the rest of the
> > > "goodies" was seen and installed during the inital install. I did have a
> > > glitch with sound, but I think that is a permissions thing that SUSE just
> > > hasn't fixed yet.
> >
> > Hey fred care to tell us what your bleeding edge hardware you have runnng
> > there. I'm in market for some new stuff for a machine for server at home
>
> Sure......it's probably the best well-built box on the market for the money.
> It's a Medion (German owned company) Composer 5200....Best Buy has them.
> It's a 3.2Ghz P-4 with 800Mhz. FSB, SATA w/200GB SATA drive, nVidia PCI
> Express 16x, bunch of USB ports, 1 DVD drive and DVD DL (dual layer) burner,
> etc.....all for uner $700. The sound isn't supported so I installed an SB
> Audigy 2 ZS.......ships with 512MB of RAM and I added another 512.

Wow, I have a Medion, i didn't know they were German owned though. I bought
mine at best buy for 433 dollars, it came with 256 RAM, an 80 GB disk,
DVD-ROM and CD Burner, and internal sound card.

I added another 512 RAM, a neon blue exhaust fan, a 350 Watt Power Supply,
And an Nvidia GeForce FX card with 128 MBs Video, heh. I had it as my web
and FTP server but the power supply is doing not to well and I need a new
one.