Re: [SLE] Nvidia 1.0-7174 anyone?
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 09:32:22 +0200
On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 01:11 +0100, Sid Boyce wrote:
> I've built a new kernel without agpgart and set xorg.conf to use
> NVidia's agpgart instead. I've been playing with motherboard clocks,
> voltages, CPU speeds, a new BIOS and some new memory ( 2x 512M Kingston)
> that was causing problems just on this Asus A7N8X-E motherboard, but was
> OK on an ASROCK board, this box never fully booted with that memory,
Sid, I'm beginning to regret buying ASUS. I couldn't find the features
I was looking for in anything else, and I thought ASUS might have
improved since the last time I dealt with one (P-II based celerons).
It's a A7V880, the only KT880 board I could get stock of.

- Even with the latest beta BIOS, it still doesn't detect my
year-and-a-half old Athlon's FSB correctly. It's a 2400+ 2Ghz which
came ONLY with 266mhz FSB. Now I'm stuck running at 1.5ghz with 200mhz
FSB, unless I "overclock" it.
- Every couple of boots I get the type of screen you get when you're
BIOS is busted - asking for a floppy to boot from. Then I reset it and
all's fine, except for losing all the BIOS settings. If I remove my
Radeon 7500 this problem goes away. (????)
- Replacing the Radeon with my old GeForce MX4000 sorts out the boot
problem, but it's an inferior card in every respect (performance, image
quality). With the nv driver, mplayer and xine doesn't work - image
doesn't update and X pretty much grinds to a halt untill I can kill the
player. With the nvidia driver, X doesn't even come up. My screen just
goes into DPMS mode, like when I power down. Locks the keyboard too, so
I can't kill it.

And by the way, all this worked peachy for two years on a Gigabyte
GA-7ZXE board. All in all, I'll never buy ASUS again.

--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy

< Previous Next >