Re: [SLE] New SuSE Machine - Comments
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 10:52:04 +0200
On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 17:41 +1000, Paul Trevethan wrote:
> Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra939 M/B
> Athlon64 3000+ E3 Venice core Socket939
> 1.0Gb Geil PC3200 400MHz DDR ram
My housemate has an older Athlon64 with 512mb RAM. He can do a
make -j12 on most compiles, higher most of the time, and still have
juice left to watch DVD.

> LG DVD Burner GSA-4163BBK
Awesome drive.

About cooling, really, if the case has proper airflow, you have nothing
to worry about. My housemate's Athlon64 is in an older case, with no
case fans, although he does have a decent powersupply that draws quite a
bit of air out. His CPU temperature seldom reaches 50 degrees
(celcius).

With the cool 'n quiet feature enabled, the CPU fan turns quite slowly,
but under full load, the fan speeds up so much, that bizzarely, the CPU
temperature often drops to below the normal "idle" level...

--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy