Re: [SLE] Firefox, fixed and broken again.... :-(
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 10:52:51 +0100
On 5/6/05, Carlos E. R. <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The Thursday 2005-05-05 at 21:51 +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> > Following my earlier post of stating that Firefox 1.0.3 was
> > fixed....it's broken again. I'm running 9.2 It works if I log in
> > through KDE as root but not as a normal user. So now I'm really not
> > sure what the next move is. It does try to start but dies within a
> > split second of opening. Which is very annoying because I like the
> > new look and feel.
>
> I use mozilla, so I don't know. But if it works for root, not for user, I
> would check if there are files nor runnable/readable by your normal user,
> both in your profiles and the /opt/MozillaFirefox/ directories.
>
> You can also try starting it from a terminal: it might print a message
> there when dying.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson
>
> --

Ok, an update and I'm more puzzled than ever. I will try the renaming
but for now how about this? Last night I went into root mode (GUI).
I opened Firefox (the updated one) it opened fine. I then logged off
and logged back in as normal user (there is only root and 1 normal
user on the PC). I then tried opening Firefox again - remember it
flashed open and died prior to opening it under root. Would you
believe Firefox opened fine and worked fully. So, it would appear
that if I firstly log in as root then open Firefox then log out again
it will work for a normal user.

When it does work I am having no problems with bookmarks or links or
anything. Oh, I did delete the old Firefox at one point prior to
putting the latest one on.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer