Re: IPv6 & SuSE 9.2
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 08:58:10 -0400
Alan Hughes wrote:
James Knott wrote:

I've decided to try experimenting with IPv6. I can ping the interface on
the computer, but nothing on my network. I assume the address listed in
ifconfig should be available over the lan. Ethereal, at the far end,
shows ICMPv6 Neighbor solicitations being received, but no response being
sent.
Ping6 says "Destination unreachable: Address unreachable". Is there
something else required to enable this? Also, how does one get the apps,
such as a browser or ssh to work with an IPv6 address?

tnx jk

Is anything else on your network configured to support IPv6? Do you have an
IPv6 router? IPv4 protocol stacks will not respond to an IPv6 ping (or
anything else).

It's just a local network. All computers involved are sitting on my desk, to there's only the switch to worry about. As I mentioned in other notes, the computers receive the ping, but don't respond. This is shown by ethereal. They do respond to their own pings. All systems are running SuSE 9.2 or 9.1, which support IPv6.