Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <red.kryptonite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 18:47:18 -0700
On 5/6/05, Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 18:07 -0700, Ben Rosenberg wrote:
> > Well, I've found that 9.3 is much better then 9.2. With 9.2 we had
> > issue where it had a strange bug where it would take 15-25 minutes to
> > reboot because EVERYTIME it booted the system it wanted to run
> > reiserfsck against the 1.8T data partition.. didn't matter what
>
> That's very odd. And I guess it proves the point of some other posters
> here, that sometimes some people have bugs that others never ever see.
> Because I've never seen this one. 9.2 has been very smooth for me, on
> the balance.

Yeah. I kind of figured no one had seen this problem because I posted
to the list a couple times about it and no one responded. :)

Doesn't matter now.. 9.2 is a bad memory for me.

> Yuck. Gentoo is never something I'd consider. I ran FreeBSD on a box at
> home for a time. Great idea. Optimized software and all that, but when
> the rubber meets the road, it's not such a good idea. For example, I
> went to install OpenOffice.org from ports. After downloading 20-some
> libraries it spent the next hour compiling the software. Needless to say
> the part I was least happy about wasn't the hour of compilation. It was
> the fact that suddenly I had 20 libraries I may never need sitting on my
> machine taking up space. I'll always prefer binary packaging.

We tested FreeBSD with the custom software we are build and Linux was
about 30% faster... which hacked off one of my co-workers who is a
freeBSD person. *laugh*

One can do pkgs with Gentoo but then what would be the point to using
it? If one uses the pkgs then it's just an infant Linux distro with a
way smaller userbase the SUSE or RH. :)

-Ben

--
"There is no need to teach that stars can fall out of the sky
and land on a flat Earth in order to defend religious faith."

< Previous Next >