Re: [SLE] Is this a proper place to ask questions about NLD?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 04:35:33 +0200
On Saturday 07 May 2005 04:26, Preston Crawford wrote:
> Referring to Novell Linux Desktop. Or elsewhere?
>
> I was just curious about how it compared, if anyone here used it, etc.
> I'm thinking of longer term stability and if that's attainable and if
> NLD is an option. I don't mind installing my own software as long as the
> core distro is strong. This seems like an idea. Especially at $50. Any
> thoughts? Or is there a better place to ask this question?

Depends on what you're going to use it for. It has the same core as SLES 9,
which means it's fairly conservative and stable, but it also means you don't
get the newer "bleeding edge" stuff.

It's also a pronounced desktop distribution, meaning the target market is
business users. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't include a compiler. It is a
distribution primarily aimed at those who use the computer as a tool for a
job, not people who play around a lot with it.

If you are in that corner of the market, it ties in rather nicely with the
other offerings, such as ZENworks linux management and other business tools.