Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 19:56:05 -0700
On 06 May 2005, at 18:47, Ben Rosenberg wrote:

On 5/6/05, Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 18:07 -0700, Ben Rosenberg wrote:

Well, I've found that 9.3 is much better then 9.2. With 9.2 we had
issue where it had a strange bug where it would take 15-25 minutes to
reboot because EVERYTIME it booted the system it wanted to run
reiserfsck against the 1.8T data partition.. didn't matter what

That's very odd. And I guess it proves the point of some other posters
here, that sometimes some people have bugs that others never ever see.
Because I've never seen this one. 9.2 has been very smooth for me, on
the balance.

Yeah. I kind of figured no one had seen this problem because I posted
to the list a couple times about it and no one responded. :)

Doesn't matter now.. 9.2 is a bad memory for me.

I have complained, fairly vehemently, about installation problems with SaX2, the X Server, and nVidia device drivers and with KDE 3.4. The SaX2 problems were, in a sense, created by me. I used SaX2 during the initial boot after installing SuSE 9.3. When installing SuSE 9.0, 9.1, and 9.2; I accepted the default SaX2 settings and deferred changes until after I had downloaded the drivers from nVidia. As an aside, other operating systems that I have used provide a warning not to make changes to the X server configuration during installation of a new release. Should have remembered that.

While extremely irritating, the KDE 3.4 problem involving maximizing and restoring windows was more of an annoyance than a real problem. It didn't prevent KDE from functioning. The same could be said for the problem displaying bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3.

My primary system at home and work over the last 15 years has been BSD/OS. It was not by any stretch of the imagination an end-user desktop system. It was designed as an operating system for servers. It was great for implementing firewalls and bastion hosts or simply being a high-reliability server that ran 24 hours a day 365 days a year. It wasn't unusual to have these systems up for 3 years between reboots. It had an excellent patch system for applying security updates and other software updates. After acquiring BSD/OS from BSDi, Wind River Systems suddenly announced in 2003 that support for BSD/OS would be discontinued at the end of 2004.

Based on experiences of friends in other engineering groups at work with other Linux distributions and my own experience with Red Hat and SuSE, I decided to adopt SuSE Linux Professional as a replacement for BSD/OS, at least at home. A key element in its selection was its patching and update system. It's about as close in reliability to BSD/OS as you're going to get. The second was price. Two releases a year at $86.00 each versus $600.00 a year.

Given the amount of software included in the distribution the above "problems" aren't really that bad. I'll stick with SuSE Linux Professional 9.3.

Merton Campbell Crockett

Ps: If you look closely at this message, you will noticed that I hedged my bets. I started using Mac OS X due to its having BSD under the hood.

--

Merton Campbell Crockett
mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx