Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 14:08:51 +0200
Sat, 07 May 2005, by andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx:

> On Saturday 07 May 2005 03:07, Ben Rosenberg wrote:
> > With 9.2 we had
> > issue where it had a strange bug where it would take 15-25 minutes to
> > reboot because EVERYTIME it booted the system it wanted to run
> > reiserfsck against the 1.8T data partition.
>
> Why would it take that long to run reiserfsck? reiserfsck always runs on every
> boot, because it shouldn't take any time at all, regardless of the size of
> the partition. It just replays the journal log, unless you're running it
> manually. For reiserfsck in itself to take that long I would consider a bug

There is indeed a problem, I had the same experience.
The solution is simple though.

In /etc/sysconfig/boot
append 'fastboot="yes"'
set 'RUN_PARALLEL="yes"'
set 'USE_MAKE="yes"'

I'm up and running in under 2 minutes now, with
$ ls /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S*|wc -l
32 services starting up.

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E. + ICQ: 277217131