Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 09:01:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 6 May 2005, Ben Rosenberg wrote:

> On 5/6/05, Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Ps: If you look closely at this message, you will noticed that I
> > hedged my bets. I started using Mac OS X due to its having BSD under
> > the hood.
>
> But sticking with them doesn't mean blind obedience either. I use them
> for desktop workstations in the office, servers and a home server (big
> data repository) but as far as home work environment .. I'm quite
> pleased with my Powerbook running 10.4 (Tiger) as it gives me what I
> need and is basically UNIX... with the exception that they've gone
> and replaced init with this new launchd stuff that I've yet to figure
> out.

That sounds vaguely familiar. Desktop workstations at work are SuSE 9.3
as is my server/workstation at home. Actually, the latter has removable
drive trays and can boot BSD/OS, SuSE, or WindowsXP by switching trays.
There is, also, a PowerBook G4 17 running Mac OS X 10.4 for mobility.

I developed a secure, collaborative environment for work using the BSD/OS
IPFW System. The latter was derived from work done by BSDi and Wind River
for several firewall vendors and incorporated into BSD/OS from their
embedded product line.

It's difficult, now, to find hardware on which BSD/OS will run. I'm
hoping that either SuSE or Mac OS X will provide a reasonable alternative
to BSD/OS. One big problem is documentation. Neither Novell/SuSE or
Apple provide the "nitty-gritty" details that was the hallmark of the
BSD/OS manual set.

Are there any good resources for details on SuSEfirewall2/IPTables or Mac
OS X/Darwin/FreeBSD IPFW?

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN: vcard