Re: [SLE] 9.3 Login Show Users? - SOLVED
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 21:03:02 +0200
On Saturday 07 May 2005 20:49, Jim Flanagan wrote:
> but
> why were there two themes that were listed to be used from two different
> locations?

Well, by default if you install KDE directly from kde.org, it will use
configuration files in /opt/kde3/share/config (or, to be exact, in
$KDEDIR/share/config, where $KDEDIR is where kde is installed)

suse normally changes this to /etc/opt/kde3, partly to make it more adhering
to the filesystem hierarchy standard.

However, at times, especially in the supplementary/ updates, there are times
when they forget to do this, so kdm will read its settings from /opt instead
of /etc/opt. Of course SuSEconfig will continue to change the settings
in /etc/opt, but kdm will ignore them. That was my original idea. What I was
expecting to see was the Theme being set in /opt/kde3 while it was unset
in /etc/opt.

But this time it was a different problem. This time neither setting had been
changed at all, which was why you had to do it manually. I'm still not sure
why that happened.

> Where can i read up more on the login themes?

I wish I knew. I saw it for the first time on a mailing list. It's a very new
thing. So new that there is no GUI configuration setting for it.

< Previous Next >