Re: [SLE] 9.3 cron.daily run time
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 15:19:52 -0400
On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 10:08 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Ken,
>
> On Saturday 07 May 2005 09:12, Ken Schneider wrote:
> >
> > What ever happened to using the system clock to schedule cron jobs?
> > Seemed to work correctly for how many years? Now you schedule based
> > on how long ago a file was created which is rather short sighted to
> > me.
>
> I believe the shortsightedness is your own.
>
> Many users don't leave their systems running 24/7 and if the daily
> processing scheduling was done in the manner you suggest, it would
> simply be skipped if the system did not happen to be up at the selected
> time.
This is true. What is the possibility of time creep on the files so that
after a while the time at which they run starts becoming later in the
day? Or is that something that actually runs in cron from the system
clock. Also what about the people that just can't seem to set their
clocks properly?

> > Like I have said in the past
> > If it ain't broke, don't fix it (break it)
>
> More like "If you don't like it, lump it" or, perhaps, "My way or the
> highway."
I see no need for you to get offensive. I merely point out that
something has worked well for many years, they change it and now people
have problems. Perhaps better testing is in order then. And better
documentation.

--
Ken Schneider