Re: [SLE] 9.3 cron.daily run time
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 15:53:23 -0400
On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 21:45 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Saturday 07 May 2005 21:40, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > The point was not to give offense, but clearly the fixed-scheduling
> > scheme _is_ broken and _does not_ work well for any installation that's
> > not running on a continuous basis, and that's a lot of systems.
>
> But the system was never completely fixed time. It was always set up to run on
> the first opportunity after a reboot if the system wasn't up in the middle of
> the night.
>
> The present system is broken though, since if the scripts are run at noon they
> will continue to get run at noon. This is not a good idea.

Precisely my point, there has to be some sort of check against the
system clock whether it is set correctly or not. If a job is meant to be
run normally at 0000 and runs at 0800 when the system is booted it will
always run at 0800, even on a system that crashed at 2340 and was booted
at 0800 even though it normally runs 24/7. Not good for backups meant to
run during the night.

--
Ken Schneider