Re: [SLE] Playing *.dat files with mplayer or xine
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 19:34:00 +0200
On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 14:06 -0700, Chaitanya Krishna A wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying to play a video file in *.dat
> format, whatever the dat extension means.
>
> The file plays well in windows. When i try to play it
> using mplayer it gives the following message and
> quits.
>
> MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Northwood (Family:
[snip]
> Playing avseq01.dat.
> Seek failed
> Exiting... (End of file)

Did you copy this file from the VCD to disc, or are you trying to play
it directly from the VCD?
If the latter, try mplayer vcd://1 (play with the number)

AFAIK windows understands the vcd filesystem format, and you can copy
the file off, change the extention to .mpg and play it in any player,
provided you have the correct codecs installed.

For some reason linux doesn't so the only way to get the file off the
disc, is something like:

mencoder vcd://1 -oac copy -ovc copy -o outfile.avi

Which gives you an avi container with the VCD stuff inside, that you can
play as normal.

--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy