Re: [SLE] Web administration of home network
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 04:54:23 +0200
On Monday 09 May 2005 04:26, Michael James wrote:
> Here's a suggestion for a project.
<snip>

Interesting.

I don't know if something like this exists already. But if it doesn't, it
would probably be a good idea to start from something like ntopd. It already
has sophisticated monitoring capabilities, and understands many protocols. It
seems to me like it should be relatively straightforward to teach it about
protocols not already supported (although I'm not sure about porn surfing.
That would require content analysis to distinguish it from regular surfing.
Or are you assuming any surfing done by teenagers will be porn? :)

The "enable/disable" thing would be very simple to add, using simple iptables
rules

> Also, the logs are full of repeated failed random ssh logins.
> Why not a daemon tailing the logs, that puts an iptables ban
> on the source IP after 3 tries for non-existant users?

This already exists. There are multiple log watchers out there that implement
such schemes. I think snort can be made to do this as well