Re: [SLE] ftp server - SOLVED
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:57:41 -0400
On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 17:43 -0400, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 09:32, Ken Schneider wrote:
> > Looking to set up an ftp server so I can install 9,3 on a machine that
> > has a broken dvd drive. The only server package on 9.2 DVD is pure-ftpd
> > and I can't figure out how to set the root dir to where I want it. Am I
> > missing something simple or are the docs missing that part?
>
> Ken I realize this doesn't sound overly easy but, have you considered
> creating an ISO of the DVD on the disk you'd ftp from, mount the .iso on
> a file system, and then sharing that directory out under NFS (or skip a
> bit of this and share of the DVD drive)? You could then sidestep the
> FTP process all-together. I've done network installs, what you need is
> a boot disk with modules, and do the process manually. Not as sweet as
> the DVD install, but it did work well on a system that didn't have a
> CD-ROM to install from.
>
> Mike

Just so everyone is up to speed.
I have the ftp going with the files where I want them. Simply change the
login dir of the ftp user.
This was for my private use only, not for the internet. The DVD drive is
toast and can't be used which is the reason for the ftp install.
Why create an iso of the DVD on disk and mount it when I can simply copy
the files from the DVD to where I want them disk, same difference I
think.

--
Ken Schneider