RE: [SLE] editor for extremely large test file {Solved}
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:19:04 -0700
On 5/11/05, Colin Carter <colincarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 May 2005 20:46, Damon Register wrote:
> > James D. Parra wrote:
> > > Thanks Anders. However, I don't know where the text I need is located
in
> > > the file. I need an editor that can actually open this file so I can
look
> > > for
> >
> > I am confused. When I was a kid my dad used to say "if you don't
> > know what you are looking for, how will you know when you find it?"
> > It seems you must know something about what you are looking for so
> > why can't the Anders recommended SED find that text? Putting the
> > size issue aside for a moment, why can't any editor find your text?
> > Even the simplest Notepad in Windows can search.
> >
> > Now I have a question about editors and big files. Does anyone remember
> > the PDP-8? Twenty years ago when I started work here, there were a lot
> > of PDP-8 word processors. They had a big 4K of RAM. When they opened
> > a file, they didn't load the whole thing, just the first piece. As the
> > user moved through the file, the computer would load the next piece.
> > Does SED or any other editor have this abililty to load only a portion
> > at a time? I could be wrong but it seems to me that this might be the
> > only way to deal with such a large file.
> Actually, doesn't emacs do that?

>IIRC, sed stands for "stream editor", It is non-interactive. It is
>typically used from shell scripts, or by gurus that have memorized its
>rather complex command-line argument structure.

>You can even put sed in a pipeline:
> cat bigfile | sed AndersArgs > resulting_sub_section

>So yes it works on files a little bit at a time. That is why Anders
>recommended it I'm sure.

Thank you all for your help.

The problem I was having was in locating the last line number of the block I
needed. I needed to grep for "\.", but grep was not interpreting that
correctly. However, since I knew the first line number of the line number I
needed I made a few guesses as to where the last line would be and I did
eventually find it. The block of text I needed was 300Mb in size. I used
"head" and "tail" to verify the start and end points for the new text file.

Thank you, Anders, for your sed examples. They worked perfectly.

Truly indebted,

~James

  • No further messages