Re: [SLE] Installing other distros RPM packages?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 23:55:05 +0200
On Wednesday 11 May 2005 22:27, Terence McCarthy wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:08:42 +0100
>
> Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Look at http://www.skype.com/products/skype/linux/ to see the nonsense
> > that Skype has to go through for each distro, at least a number of
> > distros had the good sense to base themselves on Debian, possibly one
> > reason why Munich went Debian after SuSE/IBM had done all the hard work.
>
> I suspect you're on the money there, Sid. At least Debian has a constant
> structure, and a rock-solid one at that.

What are you guys talking about?

"SUSE, RedHat and Mandrake et al. can't agree where to keep things, therefore
Debian is better because Debian keeps things in the same place as Debian"???

The reason skype and opera needs to maintain separate versions is because it's
written in c++. Blame the gcc project instead of the distros. Debian is
stable because Debian never updates anything unless the project leader
retires, or something.

I hope you're not saying we should never update libraries ever

But I do agree that the gcc c++ project isn't the best run project in the
world

< Previous Next >