Re: [SLE] SuSE supported aDSL devices
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 02:18:41 +0200
On Thursday 12 May 2005 02:12, Colin Carter wrote:
> Is this true?
> Are you implying that kernel has been written in such a way that if I
> upgrade from SuSE 9.1 to 9.2 I will have to throw away my Netcomm Plus 4
> ? It is a combination ethernet, usb, ADSL modem with router and firwall, so
> I don't feel very happy if SuSE has done such a 'silly' thing!

It's not a question of what suse has done, it's a question of what the
manufacturers haven't done. Namely written drivers.

In general, a modem you connect to with an ethernet cable will work. I don't
think I've ever seen one that didn't. Modems you connect to with USB may or
may not work, depending on whether there is a driver for it. If there was a
driver in 2.4, odds are there will be one in 2.6, unless the driver was
binary only and the manufacturer is refusing to release an update

< Previous Next >