Re: [SLE] SuSE supported aDSL devices
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 23:52:41 -0800
On Wednesday 11 May 2005 04:18 pm, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Thursday 12 May 2005 02:12, Colin Carter wrote:
> > Is this true?
> > Are you implying that kernel has been written in such a way that if I
> > upgrade from SuSE 9.1 to 9.2 I will have to throw away my Netcomm Plus
> > 4 ? It is a combination ethernet, usb, ADSL modem with router and
> > firwall, so I don't feel very happy if SuSE has done such a 'silly'
> > thing!
>
> It's not a question of what suse has done, it's a question of what the
> manufacturers haven't done. Namely written drivers.
>
> In general, a modem you connect to with an ethernet cable will work. I
> don't think I've ever seen one that didn't. Modems you connect to with USB
> may or may not work, depending on whether there is a driver for it. If
> there was a driver in 2.4, odds are there will be one in 2.6, unless the
> driver was binary only and the manufacturer is refusing to release an
> update

What are you talking about drivers for? The device in question is an
external ADSL modem with an integrated 4port switch and router.
You cable it with cat 5 cables like any other router, and you manage
it with your browser.

Virtually all USB stuff is working flawlessly in 9.3, not that you need
USB to run this device.

http://www.yak.com.au/pdf/NB1300+4_info.pdf

--
John Andersen