Re: [SLE] Novell Linux Leaders Flee
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:54:57 -0400
On 5/13/05, jonlists <jonlists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the same boat here...... we had customers who had support contracts
> with Redhat until they were abandoned, and now we are steadily moving all
> of those customers to Suse, typically SLES.
>
> I don't understand the statement that RedHat is still the flavor of choice
> in the U.S. That may have been the case in the past, but I don't think
> it's true anymore.
>
> Jon Johnston
> Creative Business Solutions
> IBM, Microsoft, Novell/Suse, Sophos Consultants
> http://www.cbsol.com
> blog:http://bingo.cbsol.com

I also see SuSE with my customers.

BUT, I'm a "Red Hat Certified Engineer" because I was offered a free
week of "boot camp" if I passed the RHCT/RHCE test a year ago.

I don't know if RH ended up giving the class away, or if the
distributor we use paid, but my company did not have to. I think the
class was $1500 or $2000 so getting it free was a big incentive.

Thus my resume says "Red Hat Certified Engineer", even though I use
SuSE on a far more frequent basis.

SuSE/Novell really need to look at how RH is doing
training/certification in the USA and step up to the plate with
similar offerings.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer