Re: [SLE] nVidia rocks; Don't Buy An ATI card
  • From: mike <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 18:30:39 +0200
On Saturday 14 May 2005 14:55, Allen wrote:

> > > Gee, that's strange, my ati 9800 pro works flawlessly also.
> > > Wonder what YOUR problem was/is?
> > >
> > > General statements such as yours seem like trolling.
> >
> > Sorry, but I went from a dog Radeon 9200 to a stellar GeForce
> > FX5200.
> >
> > Maybe the 9800 is better -- but I do some high end gaming, and it's
> > like night and day...I would never recommend any ATI product to any
> > Suse user after my experience.
>
> I've always like Nvidia. i wouldn't recommend it before I knew ATI
> was crap for most OSs other than Windows. Mike, you ever get that
> card working in Free BSD with true 3D? If you have you're way better
> than I'm giving credit for.

Why would I want to do that? I use it under suse. Works like a champ. 3D
included. Takes a couple of minutes to compile the drivers, and away I
go. Been doing it since I had a 7500. Then an 8500, and now the 9800.

> > The other thing is I would definitely always stick only to hardware
> > on the Suse supported hardware database. I had a similar problem
> > with an SB 24-bit Live! All those problems were solved went I
> > bought a $13 CMI based card.
>
> I have a Sound Blaster Live! but I think it's not the one you
> have.... I don't think. I bought it like 2 years ago and it works
> without problems in every OS I've used (Over 80 of them).

Same here. If it ever dies, I'll get something better. Until then this
one is fine. I don't think my hearing is good enough to hear all the
bells and whistles of the new 24bit cards with dolby 7.1, and so on.

Mike