Re: [SLE] Multimedia Pack
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 01:26:19 +0200
On Sunday 15 May 2005 01:21, John Bailo wrote:
> On Saturday 14 May 2005 13:36, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > It gives you mp3 and mpeg multimedia features. It was included in 9.2, in
> > 9.3 it's an optional download
>
> I installed 9.2 from the ftp iso.
>
> Now I get my rpms from an ftp mirror.
>
> I searched in Yast for "multimedia" but I don't see it.
>
> Is it something I have to go look for and download?
>
> Or is it on the mirror site?
>
> Or can I somehow install it via Yast?

Er, no, multimedia is a word, not a package. It encompasses all things sound
and video (and, technically, text too). In this case it really refers to the
ability of programs to play mp3 files. In 9.2 that was built in to the
programs, so you didn't have to install anything extra. In 9.3, for various
reasons, mostly to do with patents I guess, that was removed from the default
distribution, so plugins and patches for programs to handle it is available
as a separate download that happens to be called 'Multimedia Option Packs'.

< Previous Next >