Re: [SLE] 8.0 boot file is bad
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 00:34:37 +0200
On Monday 16 May 2005 00:21, John Sowden wrote:
> in Suse 8.0 I have to use startx to bring up kde. just before the login-in
> text mode-I get an error as follows:
> /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S11nscd~ line 123 syntax error: unexpected end of line

Does it really have a tilde? That usually means the file has been edited, and
this is a backup file. Don't you have one without the tilde? If so, is that
complete?

By the way, all the files in the rc directories are just (or should be)
symlinks to files in /etc/init.d, so check if you have a complete version of
nscd there, and what this tilde file is pointing to.

> When I go there, sure enough, the file is truncated in the middle of a loop
> statement.
>
> Can I 'rebuild' this file, or is it special to my install?

The file is in the nscd package, so in the worst case scenario you could just
reinstall that package