Re: [SLE] nVidia rocks; Don't Buy An ATI card
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:18:02 +0200
On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 02:30 -0700, John Bailo wrote:
> Sorry, but I went from a dog Radeon 9200 to a stellar GeForce FX5200.

Guys, you get good graphics card manufacturers, and you get bad graphics
card manufacturers.

I had a Gainward TNT2 many years ago, which was a fabulous card. Apart
from a few nvidia driver issues (which they still haven't fixed, by the
way), I didn't have any complaints.

The driver issues did bug me though, and thinking it was the card, I
replaced it, and in the space of a year went through a number of
different TNT and GeForce cards, with similar results. However, on some
cards, getting the nVidia drivers two work was a real pain, and none of
those cards were cutting edge new.

Eventually I bought a Gigabyte Radeon 7000 card, and was blown away by
it. Plugged it in, Yast said howzit, and my 3D worked. What's more,
all the issues I had with the nVidia cards went away, and image quality
was far better than what I was used to.

The Radeon 7000 is only slightly faster than a TNT2, and when I needed
more power I bought a Radon 7500. Unfortunately I decided not to spend
the little extra for a Gigabyte card, and bought from PowerColor.
Mistake. While setting it up was still a plugin-and-forget affair, and
image quality is still good, performance is poor compared to what I see
on other brands, and the firmware is buggy - for example when the card
is cold, POST screen is corrupted (firmware issue confirmed by
PowerColor support, they just never did anything about it). To make
matters worse, this card started to fail after a only about two years.

Now I'm back on nVidia again, I've been through a number of GeForce
based cards, from a MX4000 through to a FX5700. For the first time in a
few years Yast can't detect my screen properly. I'm having a lot of
trouble getting the driver loaded, and every so often I have to wipe my
tmp directories or X won't start.

Right now I have an old Gainward GeForce2 GTS which works well. It has
nothing on the ATi cards for image quality, but at least it's fast -
faster than any ofthe MX based cards and faster than a few lower FX
cards too.

So you get good nVidia cards and you get really horrible nVidia cards
You get good ATI cards and you get really horrible ATI cards.

Take your pick

--
Hans du Plooy
SagacIT (Pty) Ltd