Re: [SLE] nVidia rocks; Don't Buy An ATI card
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:32:48 -0400
On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:18:02AM +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 02:30 -0700, John Bailo wrote:
> > Sorry, but I went from a dog Radeon 9200 to a stellar GeForce FX5200.
>
> Guys, you get good graphics card manufacturers, and you get bad graphics
> card manufacturers.
>
> I had a Gainward TNT2 many years ago, which was a fabulous card. Apart
> from a few nvidia driver issues (which they still haven't fixed, by the
> way), I didn't have any complaints.
>
> The driver issues did bug me though, and thinking it was the card, I
> replaced it, and in the space of a year went through a number of
> different TNT and GeForce cards, with similar results. However, on some
> cards, getting the nVidia drivers two work was a real pain, and none of
> those cards were cutting edge new.

This box I'm typing from was the first computer I ever bought. It's an HP
Pavilion, with a Pentium 3 733 MHz processor, came with an Nvidia "Vanta"
although the box says TNT2 with 16 MBs, and it works in like every OS
including Free BSD, and SUSE finds it no prblem and I grab the drivers with
YAST, and then I can play Tux Racer.

The box next to me right now is my gaming box, it has a 128 MB Nvidia
GeForce FX 5200 which I use for Quake 3, UT, UT 2003, UT 2004, UT2,
Wolfenstien, Quake (All), and every version of Doom. It works fine although
ti does lag on Doom 3, I need a better card for it. In Linux, the card
works great without a stop.

My laptop, I paid the money to get the Nvidia card in it. It's an Nvidia
Ge Force 5200 GO. 32 MBs. Plays Doom fine, Doom 2, Final Doom, UT,
Wolfenstien, and is running SUSE 8.2 Professional. Funny how SUSE can work
on hardware newer than it. HEhe.