Re: [SLE] KWiFimanager NFG again!!!
  • From: Jack Brooks <brooksfamily@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:06:10 -0500
On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 11:28 -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Jack Brooks wrote:
> > Don't use the KwifiManager. Use the SuSE netapplet. I've been using it
> > (with 9.3) on my Compaq Presario 2800T at home and at school with NO
> > problems. Works great.
> >

> One thing that appears to be missing, it the ability to switch an
> ethernet adapter from static to dhcp addresses. Currently, I use
> profiles to switch between static, dhcp and wifi. Also, when switching
> wifi, does it change only the essid or the complete settings, including
> WEP keys etc. For example, I currently have two wifi configurations,
> one for home and one for another location. I have saved the two
> configurations and when I want to switch, copy the appropriate file over
> ifcfg-wlan. Will netapplet do similar?

Let me describe it to you like this (I lack the sophistication to do any
better): After I installed 9.3 on my laptop, I simply fired it up and
started netapplet. I didn't do ANYTHING with YaST or anything else.
When I started netapplet (at home), it simply detected all of the
networks it could pick up and then activated the link with my home
router (I imagine that's because of the best signal and the only one
that would allow it). Then, I took my laptop to school (law school)
which is completely set up for wireless. Netapplet connected to the
nearest wireless node without problem and, for the first time, I was
able to use the network at school without a cat V cable.

So, the only thing I can think of, is that the profiles you set up are
no longer needed and are interfering with the functionality of
netapplet. I have just one profile and it seems to work anywhere I'm
allowed to connect.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Jack

< Previous Next >