Re: [SLE] nVidia rocks; Don't Buy An ATI card
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:55:39 +0200
On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 08:41 -0400, Bryan Tyson wrote:
> > I do loads of video capturing (have a whole VHS
> > library to convert to digital format)
>
> Are you able to do this in Linux? If so, what is your setup?
> I have been doing a similar project converting VHS, but I have been
> using a Hauppauge USB WinTV PVR in Windows. I would love to do this
> with Linux if I knew how.

Well, my TV card has an AV in, so I hook the VCR up to it that way and
the sound of the VCR goes into the line-in on my soundcard (SB Live).
Then I just use mencoder to grab the video off and convert it to AVI -
burn that onto a normal data dvd.

I don't know the mencoder switches for that from memory - I've written a
small script to do that. Once I find time to spend at home I'll work
on getting the stream from the VCR converted to a DVD compliant mpeg
file to burn proper video DVDs.

--
Hans du Plooy
SagacIT (Pty) Ltd