Re: [SLE] nVidia rocks; ATI is OK too.
  • From: William Gallafent <william@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:05:48 +0100

Just a quick rejoinder to this nv/ati thread in defence of
ATi, not in direct response to the message that this is a
reply to. (I don't work for either).

We have various Athlon64 notebooks here with ATi Mobility
Radeon 9700 and nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 Go chips. Linux
distributions used are SuSE 9.2 and Fedora Core 3, 64-bit
versions.

We use the commercial driver for both, downloaded from the
ATi's / nVIDIA's website respectively.

Both work well. We haven't benchmarked either.

So, for our hardware at least, both of these manufacturers
give good Linux support in their commercial drivers. I can't
comment about relative performance, nor about the open
source drivers, since I haven't used those for a long time -
since getting a GeForce FX 5600 for my desktop machine some
time ago, in fact.

--
Bill

< Previous Next >