CDMA cards and Routing in SUSE 9.3
  • From: NSK <nsk3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 18:45:44 +0300
Hey

I successfully installed a PCMCIA CDMA/UMTS (3G) wireless Internet connection
card on my SUSE 9.3 laptop, although I still cannot transmit data correctly
(see below). I can "talk" to the card as a serial device and transmit AT
modem commands to it, so I managed to transmit the PIN code to it and unlock
it and then initiate a connection. I followed the steps outlined at
http://portal.wikinerds.org/howto-3g-pcmcia-gnu-linux

But although the card is correctly installed and a connection can be
initiated, it seems I cannot transmit data. Although the article mentions a
similar problem with some kernels, I suspect my problem may have to do with
routing.

I am not sure how to make my SUSE correctly route Internet data through the
PCMCIA card (ttyUSB0).

My laptop is connected through Ethernet to my ADSL router, therefore the
default gateway in Yast->Routing is my adsl box.

What should I do in order to make my SUSE route Internet traffic via the
PCMCIA (ttyUSB0) card when it is connected, and via Ethernet when it is
removed, and always route internal network traffic via the Ethernet?

--
NSK
http://portal.wikinerds.org