Re: [SLE] Who killed Windows? How resurrect?
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 05:11:44 -0400
On Friday 20 May 2005 02:09 am, AD Marshall wrote:
<snippage>
> But the real issue is how to get it, Windows 2000, back?
<more snippage>
> * Now, i can boot into Windows but can only get a "C:\>" prompt, with a
> very limited command set available. "C:\boot.ini" is still there and
> *looks* OK, but i'm not sure what to do and am afraid to try more
> without knowing more.
<more snippage>

Hi Andi,

Google... www.microsoft.com... www.theeldergeek.com... www.techrepublic.com
Sites dedicated to M$HAFT world domination software are a dime a dozen, so
you've got lots of resources in case this doesn't work: If my understanding
concerning NT/2K/XP installation commonalities is correct, you need three
system files to load the OS once the partition/disk is bootable and active:

boot.ini (pointing to a valid M$ installation)
ntldr
ntdetect.com

HTH, good luck & regards,

- Carl

Dover Foxcroft, Maine, USA Public Keys 68396713 & F8207216
----->>>>>http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html <<<<<-----