Re: [SLE] Webmin Utilization
  • From: Stan Glasoe <SRGlasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:32:26 -0500
On Friday 20 May 2005 2:48 pm, a.bridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Is anyone currently using Webmin for anything in a production/mission
> critical environment? If so, what has your experience been and would
> you recommend the product?
>
> Thanks

Yes version 1.17 and 1.20 on SuSE Pro 9.2 (different systems even!).

I've had the best results getting the RPM from www.Webmin.com and installing
it. In the past the version included with SuSE didn't work right if at all.
Even Webmin.com recommended downloading their version versus what SuSE
packaged. Still a habit with me. Don't know if the included version has
been fixed or not...

Manually check the configuration of each module you are using to make sure
it matches the SuSE scheme. If you use YaST as well as Webmin to administer
your system you should carefully check the config files produced to make
sure it is what you want. Especially if you use both Yast and Webmin on the
same service/server/module. For example: if you use dhcpd and use both YaST
and Webmin to config it, double check the changes they both produce to make
sure it is what you want. They don't always make the same changes in the
same manner that you want.

Once you know the idiosyncracies you're good to go. YaST is great for YOU of
course. Choose your weapon? Pick your poison? I recommend it all the time
as it consolidates a ton of servers/services/modules. If YaST and Webmin
could be tested to verify they produce the same quality output I'd be a
very happy camper.

Maybe I'm missing something about SuSE and Webmin integration that someone
here will enlighten me with their knowledge. :)

Stan