Re: [SLE] How's suse-linux-e spam checking?
  • From: AD Marshall <admarshall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 12:22:18 +0700
On Friday 20 May 2005 21:56, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Friday 2005-05-20 at 10:16 +0700, AD Marshall wrote:
> > > The second is "mx.gmail.com" getting email from the faked
> > > "tpad01.h0lug.sourceforge.not", with the real IP noted (your IP
> > > at the time - I would have disguised it before publishin on list)
> >
> > It's actually a "national" gateway, so makes no difference to me.
> > VietNam is that way <sigh>. If one person abuses some site, like
> > someone did with slashdot once, we all get blocked.
>
> Ah! I'm begining to understand now. Yes, some people directly block
> IPs based on the nation, because there are a lot of hackers and spam
> said to be coming from "the far east", and they say they do not need
> to correspond or do bussiness over there. There are rules in
> SpamAssassin for tests of that sort - I still do not know well what
> they do, SA documentation is scarce.
>
> > Thanks for the patient explanation.
>
> Welcome :-)
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson

Heeheehee... Hey, Carlos! Thanks again. No need to think much more about
this. It was just a casual clueless question.

One thing you might not have noticed: VietNam's connections to the Net
are carefully limited and firewalled and filtered (to "protect" the
internal network from both the outside and access to the outside),
unless you work in one of the IT Industrial Parks/Centres. Normally,
you'll never see the real IP of anyone in VietNam, just the IP of one
of the gateways. Filtering has been relaxed quite a bit over the last
few years -- they used to filter all of geocities and sometimes even
news.com and idg.net -- but it's still there.

Also the handful of state-sanctioned ISPs here have to undergo regular
inspections by the MoPs and MCIs (Ministry of Police & Ministry of
Culture & Information). They used to have to mirror all email in and
out of the country, until the ISPs servers started failing under the
excess loads.

--
AD Marshall
Cell: +84 (0)903871313