Re: [SLE] 9.3 Install Failure
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 16:29:48 +0200
On Saturday 21 May 2005 16:15, David Johanson wrote:
> (2)
> GNU GRUB version 0.95 (638K lower/523184 upper memory)
> [Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word TAB
> lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
> completions of a device/filename.]
>
> grub> _ {flashing}
>
> trying a couple of suggested options, I get the following:
>
> grub> boot
> Error 8: Kernel must be loaded before booting
> grub> kernel
> Error 1: Filename must be either an absolute pathname or blocklist
>
> Not sure where to go from here other than disabling the EIDE drive and
> trying from scratch. Any help greatly appreciated.

When you are at the grub prompt, try running

find /boot/vmlinuz

Hopefully that'll give you a path to the kernel. Then you should be able to
boot using

kernel (hdX,X)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
initrd (hdX,X)/boot/initrd

where hdX,X is what the find command tells you. Then once you have a running
system, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to change the kernel and initrd position to
where it actually is