Re: [SLE] 9.3 Install Failure
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 02:50:09 +0200
> I am experiencing one problem which I haven't been able to solve yet,
> and perhaps you can provide some guidance. When I elect to log off, I
> get a screen with two options, cancel or end current session. Cancel is
> obvious and end current session takes me to a very plain screen with the
> lizard at the top and a box for login and password. No options for
> switch user, or shutdown. If I use my user login things go as expected;
> if I use the root approach i get a very light green screen with a
> bask-like box.
>
> What do I have to do the get the expected - at least for me - options
> at log out?

That's a known bug, for some reason some package when you install or upgrade
it changes the login manager to xdm instead of the normal kdm

Log out, switch to a text console with ctrl-alt-F1. and log in as root. Then
run

rcxdm stop

Then edit /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and change DISPLAYMANAGER to "kdm",
save and run

rcxdm start

Then you should get the normal login screen

> People who behold a phenomenon will often extend their thinking beyond
> it; people who merely hear about the phenomenon will not be moved to
> think at all. -- Goethe

Very good quote. Very accurate