Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (3349 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] Kat and libpoppler
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 08:44:24 -0700
  • Message-id: <200505220844.24947.rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Hi,

On Sunday 22 May 2005 06:32, Anders Johansson wrote:
> ...
>
> cd poppler-0.3.2
> ./configure
> make
> checkinstall

Well, apart from some diagnostics and funky characters spewed out near
the end of the checkinstall output, this seems to work and produces an
installable RPM. I've got to say, I was surprised to discover that
"/usr/src/packages/RPMS" and "/usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386" have mode
1777 (rwxrwxrwxt, just like /tmp).

After installing the poppler RPM so produced, the Kat 0.5.2 dependencies
are met and it installs and runs. But not quite properly, it seems.

It scans the directory I point it at, chews on it for a while and then
hangs, taking virtually no CPU time at all (with the STAT 'S' and the
WCHAN '-'). There were none of its auxiliary processes (e.g.,
kio_fulltext) running, either. At this point, it has consumed a little
over 7 minutes of CPU time. Pstree shows no sub-processes. The Kat
progress monitor shows 1% complete, the timer is counting, and it
indicates 178,162 "Words imported", 588 "Metadata imported", 463
"Fulltexts imported" and 614 "Thumbnails imported". The total number of
files, directories and bytes are close to the entire contents of the
directory I pointed it to ("/home").

According to "lsof", the only files it has open in the subdirectory I'm
scanning are its temp file, "~/temp.kat" and "~/.xsession-errors" and
its current working directory.

Hmmm... Maybe it doesn't deal well with scanning its own working
directory and / or files it has open already (specifically, its temp
file or ~/.xsession-errors).

So I tried scanning a directory disjoint from its working directory. It
hung for quite a while with kio_fulltext consuming all the CPU it can
get, mostly kernel mode, while processing a PDF file that happens to be
a fairly large and detailed street map. I was about ready to give up
when it moved on to another file.

Ultimately, however, things ended up in the same idle state: No work
occurring, no progress being reported.


Too bad. I guess I'll try it again later.

It appears, based on the dialog on the Kat home page, that this
experience isn't unique to me. If anyone has any related experiences to
report, especially more success than I had, I'd love to hear about it.


Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >
Follow Ups