Re: [SLE] Disable ARTS
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:02:12 +0200
On Sunday 22 May 2005 20:41, John Bailo wrote:
> Someone told me that Arts is the cause of a lot of sound problems in Suse.

Someone told you a half truth.

> What is it?

It is the KDE sound daemon. It is responsible for managing sound streams and
multiplexing them together. The problem some people have with it is that it
tends to hog the sound device. If you have a really old or cheap card that
can't handle multiple threads, it will tend to block non-arts aware programs
from producing sound. This is the only problem I'm aware of, and if you have
a reasonably new card it shouldn't be a problem at all

> Can it be disabled and yet have the OS produce sound?

The OS doesn't produce sounds. KDE will not be able to produce sounds anymore,
but other programs will still work. But this is an extremely unlikely source
of your sound problems