Re: [SLE] Disable ARTS
  • From: Cristian Rodriguez <judas.iscariote@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 17:49:42 -0400
2005/5/22, John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Someone told me that Arts is the cause of a lot of sound problems in Suse.

Not only in SUSE, I had troubles with arts in multiple distros,using
old,not old and very new hardware IMHO is not too much stable, and
probably the is weakest part of KDE.

I 've tested it on Athlons,celerons,different mobos and frecuenlty have issues.

My actual box is and athlon 64 2800+ 512 RAM ASUS K8V and sometimes
arts hungs. but the effect is minor at this time.

In other partition, I have Ubuntu using "esd" and NO problems at all.

> What is it?

is the kde sound deamon.

> Can it be disabled and yet have the OS produce sound?

its unlikely you solve the problem disbling it. please describe your problem.