Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (3349 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] Kat and libpoppler
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:15:12 +0100
  • Message-id: <42910470.90705@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

On Sunday 22 May 2005 06:32, Anders Johansson wrote:

...

cd poppler-0.3.2
./configure
make
checkinstall


Well, apart from some diagnostics and funky characters spewed out near the end of the checkinstall output, this seems to work and produces an installable RPM. I've got to say, I was surprised to discover that "/usr/src/packages/RPMS" and "/usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386" have mode 1777 (rwxrwxrwxt, just like /tmp).

The garbage kicked out by checkinstall seems to be to do with "tar -f" somehwere in the script, i have to go hunting it later. When it scrambles your screen type in blind echo -ne "\017" to make it sane again.

After installing the poppler RPM so produced, the Kat 0.5.2 dependencies are met and it installs and runs. But not quite properly, it seems.

It scans the directory I point it at, chews on it for a while and then hangs, taking virtually no CPU time at all (with the STAT 'S' and the WCHAN '-'). There were none of its auxiliary processes (e.g., kio_fulltext) running, either. At this point, it has consumed a little over 7 minutes of CPU time. Pstree shows no sub-processes. The Kat progress monitor shows 1% complete, the timer is counting, and it indicates 178,162 "Words imported", 588 "Metadata imported", 463 "Fulltexts imported" and 614 "Thumbnails imported". The total number of files, directories and bytes are close to the entire contents of the directory I pointed it to ("/home").

According to "lsof", the only files it has open in the subdirectory I'm scanning are its temp file, "~/temp.kat" and "~/.xsession-errors" and its current working directory.

Hmmm... Maybe it doesn't deal well with scanning its own working directory and / or files it has open already (specifically, its temp file or ~/.xsession-errors).

So I tried scanning a directory disjoint from its working directory. It hung for quite a while with kio_fulltext consuming all the CPU it can get, mostly kernel mode, while processing a PDF file that happens to be a fairly large and detailed street map. I was about ready to give up when it moved on to another file.

Ultimately, however, things ended up in the same idle state: No work occurring, no progress being reported.


Too bad. I guess I'll try it again later.

It appears, based on the dialog on the Kat home page, that this experience isn't unique to me. If anyone has any related experiences to report, especially more success than I had, I'd love to hear about it.


Randall Schulz


Here it looks OK, I just opened a random directory. reminder, I built sqlite-3.2.1 from source, and built kat without libpoppler.
Regards
Sid.
--
Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Keen licensed Private Pilot
Retired IBM Mainframes and Sun Servers Tech Support Specialist
Microsoft Windows Free Zone - Linux for all Computing Tasks

< Previous Next >
Follow Ups