Re: [SLE] Notebook with XP and SuSE
  • From: Osho GG <oshogg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 08:21:45 -0700
On Monday 23 May 2005 2:42 am, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
> I want to use a notebook computer with Windows XP and Linux. I need
> Windows for Office (including Visio) and Project, while I need for
> developing and connection to otherLinux systems.
> What is the best setup for that?
> Dualboot and vmware?
>
> What should I take care when I purchase the notebook?

I had very similar needs as you. I have found that vmware is not a very good
solution for a notebook. I used it for a few months and then stopped using
it.

While vmware is taxing on memory and CPU, that problem can be solved by buying
more memory and/or buying hyper-threaded/dual-core (when they will be
available) CPUs.

The reason why I stopped using it were many-fold:

1. Suspend-resume is very painfully slow. If you are a road-warrior, then
vmware's suspend/resume will make the notebook suspend/resume very slow. This
is because you have to suspend the virtual machine before you suspend the
physical one and then resume the virtual machine after you resume the
physical one. I have found that this takes anywhere from 2 to 3 minutes
depending on the size of RAM allocated to virtual machine and the speed of
your machine.
2. Clock problems while running on batteries. If I start vmware when my
notebook is connected to power supply and then remove the power supply; the
CPU frequency drops (as it should). This confuses the virtual machine's clock
run really fastl. Unfortunately, there is no fix for this.
3. X memory blow up. I found that X was constantly using more and more memory
and became unusable after a few days. I had to restart my X server every 2-3
days. I am using X.org 6.8.2. Once I stopped using Vmware; I have had no
problems with X memory blow up.

To vmware's credit, it does work well if you are just plugging in your laptop
into power supply and do not have to ever suspend/resume your machine.

Regarding which laptop to purchase, I would recommend IBM T series laptop
(T42, T43 etc.) whole-heartedly.

--
Osho